Monday, September 15, 2008

Scarf-ly Pride: Or, Too Many Tissues


Blegh, I have a cold. Everyone on my floor was getting sick, and I did my best to avoid them. I even went home this weekend, thinking I was in the clear, and all fine and healthy, when suddenly, my allergies took a phlegmy turn for the worse. Pleasant, yes? Well, me, my red nose, and my box of tissues that is transported from class to class across campus have not had much time to knit.  (I am OBSESSED)!

We have had time, however, to admire the joy that is, in my mind, my greatest knitted achievement. You see, I am obsessed with scarves. Not even so much the knitting, as the wearing. Nothing feels more secure than walking around in a mild spring breeze, the brisk fall wind, or bitter winter weather than with a fluttering length of loveliness dancing around your neck. And so, naturally, since the age of five I have been hell bent on knitting the perfect scarf. Back in the day, they would usually result in holey, misshapen blankets for my stuffed animals. When knitting returned to me with such fiery passion in high school, I made multiple ugly scarves, itchy, fluffy, too long, too hot, and too boring. Lately, I haven't had time to knit anything that includes the tedium and dedication that a scarf requires, and have resorted to socks and other cozy winter garments that aren't nearly as fun to wear. 

And then the Lace Ribbon Scarf came into my life, in a cloud of sunset-colored yarn, smooshy, delicious, ambiguously neutral yet vibrant...I am OBSESSED with this scarf, to the point where sensible rambling is not sufficient...I must ramble incoherently now, as well! Well, it's soft, and smooshy, and I blocked it on my bedroom floor when I went home for the weekend; in perfect spirit of the perfect scarf, the yarn blocked in the most perfect fashion. It's perfect. I love it. I will wear it all of the time, and it's specialness will never diminish as my first wonderful, good, best, superlative, amazing, once again smooshy scarf. 
...If only it would get down past the 70's this week, I could actually WEAR it.

1 comment:

Leeann said...

Oh my goodness, Heather, that scarf is beeee-you-tee-ful! In fact,I have it bookmarked for after the 8 gazillion things on my to-do list. Lily doesn't really NEED mittens, right?