Friday, September 19, 2008

Do Feminists still love knitting? Answer: Indeed they do

I am one who can admit when I have harbored a misconception. Here I freely admit that I was off about how my teacher and feminists in general perceived the wonderful art of fiber crafting. Sitting in class some time after my original post, I continued knitting on my lovely socks (which are now complete!!!!). My professor was lecturing on something or another when, somewhat suddenly, she gestured to my DPN's and said,(please understand I am paraphrasing) "Knitting, that was also very important in the early feminist movement. I had a student, a very good student, who knitted and she actually went on to start a group in Baltimore based around it, but knitting was used in CRG's (consciousness raising group) quite often." I managed not to let my jaw drop, but I was quite flabbergasted. In truth it made sense. After all, fiber crafting still brings women (yes I know men knit but for the sake of argument bear with the classification) together so much in this century, and heaven knows we all talk much more freely when our hands are busy. I found myself rather ashamed of my earlier presumption, and I have started to do a little digging on the subject. I am a little stymied at the moment, but I have every intention of going to speak to my professor soon to see if she can tell me a little more. The point here is, knitting is embraced by many in the feminist movement and it is as much apart of the legacy of the movement as it is part of the history of the world. Remember that the next time you pick up your needles, and may it remind you that you belong to a rich tradition that has woven itself into the core of centuries and centuries of human ability. 

No comments: