Monday, September 8, 2008

A Great Milestone

So, college is a pretty fabulous institution. It is funny how I built this place up in my mind, and I have found it to be even better in practice. I can't thank the Lord enough for teaching me time management when I was in high school because now I find I am able to garner time for things like reading and, of course, knitting. Still, I felt rather accomplished when the other night I crossed a great threshold in the realm of fiber crafting; I have discovered a way to knit and read my text books at the same time. Seriously, I had heard of many knitters who could do the unimaginable reading and fiber crafting at the same time, but I had never considered myself capable of dividing my attention so. But that was before my Women's Studies course. 
Reading 24 pages out a text book is fairly brutal, and made even more so by the fact that is is 24 pages filled with crazy terms and definitions basically bashing our society. I was fading, barely comprehending the sentences when suddenly, the preverbal light turned on in my cerebral area. I quickly grabbed my lap desk, two jumbo binder clips, and my knitting (a lovely Towson spirit scarf being carried out in the form of a basic stockingnette with a garter stitch border to lessen the curling.) I clipped the book open on my lap desk so that it would stay open, but I was still capable of turning pages. I attacked the book with far more enthusiasm now that my fingers were engaged.  I felt so ridiculously smart and accomplished I almost called all my knitting friends right there just to tell them about the experience. But, alas, I figured I found it more amazing than anyone else ever would. So, I will content myself with posting it here, and hope that those who happen to stumble upon it might find it just as wondrous as myself. WARNING: If anyone in high school or middle school is thinking about trying this please be warned: the binder clips do leave very visible marks on the pages and if you do not own the book I would highly recommend seeking an alternative route to reading and knitting at the same time.

1 comment:

Knit Happens said...

Darling, I congratulate you on a well learned trick of devout knitters...I myself found clothespins useful when reading Hamlet. Unfortunately, I cannot read and knit now, because my Critical Psych reading is SO painful that any excuse not to read causes me to plunge headlong into said diverting, non lugubrious task. Good luck.