Monday, September 1, 2008

Big Knit On Campus

So, here I am, at Hampshire College! Yay! It's exciting to be in the presence of the unwashed activist masses. As you can imagine, I've encountered many knitters over the past week of orientation, but as far as I can tell, I am the most devout. I've had hippie after hippie simply OGGLE at the pair of socks I'm knitting for my darling boyfriend, marveling at the intricacy of my craft--in all honesty, it's one of the easiest sock patterns I've ever encountered. It is true that I swelled with pride upon mentioning that I had also hand-dyed the yarn, which sent the observers into fits of bewilderment.

So, it's nice to be embraced by a community that appreciates natural fibers, and self-sustaining crafts, and people who enjoy climbing trees and knitting in them, as I did in the apple orchard yesterday. And now I sense the now-familiar aroma of cannabis wafting through my window. Ah well. I can't wait to start teaching all of the 20 people (if they show up) that I've promised I would teach to knit, or to knit socks instead of scarves, or their first hat...I feel like the expert on campus!

No comments: