Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Do Feminists still love knitting?

Today was an epic day; the first day of classes. I awoke eagerly, packed my bag, and hoarked a Nutri Grain bar as I booked it across campus for my first class. In all classes, I worked on my heelless socks, but as I sat knitting in my Women's Studies course, I began to quiver slightly inside my flats. The professor spoke of activism and how our society represses it. She spoke of how the class was founded on the hard labor of feminists before us and how if we did not want our world shaken up, we should leave the class. Through all this my fingers continue to knit. Her eyes shoot to me occasionally, but no more than the others. Still, I could not help feeling slightly guilty when she informed us that we were all living under conservative views. Is knitting still considered a repressive hand craft by the reformist feminist? (I just learned what that was tonight as I read my assigned chapters.) Should I be concerned that I am obsessed with a practice that happens to be an age- old art practiced by women living under a patriarchal sexist system where women are just as sexist as men, but benefit less from it? Answer: No freakin way!

3 comments:

Ibunnysavetroy said...

I think if anything knitting is definitely a way to show we've raised above what our ancestors were - that we CAN have this freedom and instead of being forced to do something for everyone else and the family, we're knitting for the sake of our own enjoyment.

nevermind that I've got no time to knit because stupid laundry and errands, I know how my mom feels now!

Knit Happens said...

The choice to knit for your pleasure makes it a feminist supporting activity, more than anything else. Screw your professor...though I have found it beneficial to ask each teacher if I can knit at the end of our first classes. Maybe they're just anti-knitter? Jealous? Sexually frustrated? Anyway, you're not knitting baby booties as your husband makes you stay home to clean and make him a sammich...thus, you win.

Nate said...

If anyone tries to say that you are somehow going against feminism by knitting, remind them that when they buy knit items commercially, they are supporting the oppression of women in third world countries. Then tie that in with multicultural feminism and the matrix of domination and you'll probably be exempted from the final.