Saturday, January 3, 2009

My Sneaky co-blogger


I am a very versatile knitter. I have rarely met a pattern that has vexed me once it begins to reveal itself in all its beauty. Not so with the socks I am currently knitting. They are being knit up in a lovely Painted Sock Too by the Paintedsheep (colorway autumn) and the pattern is a supposedly tricky Pomatomous by the lovely and talented Cookie A. When one first looks at my sock, it does not seem so bad, but the minute I actually allow it to slip over my foot it is revealed to be full of stringy nonsense and holes. I do not fault me, nor do I fault the pattern. It looks really nifty to the not-kp eye, but I am discovering more and more that I am not a fan of a bunch of yarnovers placed in such awkward positions. 
   How does all this ranting relate to my co-blogger? Well, upon listening to my constant griping, and sitting through many a tale of woe about my dislike of this pattern, she proclaimed, "You are never going to finish the second sock. You just can't do it if you hate the pattern that much." At first I was so rankled by this pronouncement I became even more determined to finish these socks more than I ever wished to finish a pair. But, as I began to simmer on my co-blogger's lack of faith in me, I came upon a strange notion; until she said I couldn't do it, I really had very little desire to finish these socks. Also, my dear friend has never directly said "You can't do it" to me, especially when it has to do with knitting. Yet, she has always found a way to encourage me in my endeavors, even when they are a toil. She knows me well enough to know that the only thing that drives me to do something more than encouragement, is a desire to prove someone wrong. Could it be this supposed lack of faith is merely a ploy to keep me knitting this project until completion?
   I do not know if this is what my co-blogger intended me to think. It could be she really does not believe I will finish the socks. However, she is a ridiculously intelligent individual who has known me for over five years. It is very possible she employed an excellent use of reverse psychology in order to help me finish this arduous project. Either way, she has inspired me. I am going to finish them duckling, you just watch!
(Picture is of my incomplete sock over the spine of the book Eldest by Christopher Paolini)

No comments: