Saturday, December 27, 2008

A Blanket for Your Trouble Part II (Randy Anderson, the "most Charlie Brown" blanket ever)





I wrote a while back that my floor was creating a blanket for our RA. If you recall, the only stipulations were that the squares be 1'x1' and hopefully in a worsted weight/Caron Simply Soft. Well.....take seven knitters (my dear friend from Courtney's other floor was kind enough to contribute a square) with different tastes and knitting style and you get an extremely strange concoction that one could hopefully call a blanket. You can see it for yourself, the thing has got character. As for the name Randy Anderson, that spawned from late night delirium as my dear floor mate Maria and I kneeled out in the hall finishing up the last of the seaming. In our late night giddiness, we came up with a ridiculous story to tell Courtney (RA) if she happened upon our work. "What about the RA? That stands for our friend Randy Anderson, who is the receiver of this blanket. You see he can use it as a blanket or a net if you look at that amorphous blob in the top right corner....." (I'm sorry Lauren I could not resist! I really do love the turquoise amorphous blob.) Anyway, I guess you had to be there.
   We even presented it to Courtney in style. Lauren and I went down to her room, and Lauren hid while I coaxed Courtney out of her room (yeah she thought I was being a creeper too don't judge me.) When she came out, Lauren jumped out and quickly secured a blindfold over the eyes of a very confused RA. Laughing and assuring her that she could trust us, we led her up the stairs and into our common room where everyone waited with the blanket. Our favorite honorary floor mate Zach (Lauren's boyfriend and only male with the seal of approval of the pack to inhabit our floor) graciously removed the blindfold so I could capture the picture of her face when she saw it. She was quite thrilled, as were we all that she liked it so much. A true Christmas joy, and a miracle that only such knitters can accomplish.
And a thank you to those knitters:
   Patty: For your beautiful pattern work and excellent color choice
   Jess: For your diligence, your square looked perfect
   Julie: For being a damn quick and lovely knitter!
   Lauren: For taking a risk and making that ridiculously wonderful "net"
   Maria: For the center of the blanket and staying up with me to seam it (Randy Andersonnnnnn!!!!)
   Evelyne: Without your square, we never would have had a fully finished work
   
And special thank yous to Jess Dugger for being our constant support and Zach for removing the blindfold!

No comments: