Monday, July 21, 2008

Too Many Projects

So, knitting blogs tend to require talk about knitting...so, (as I say so for the second time) it is time for me to complain about the amount of projects that I am working on.

I used to tease my friend Sam for knitting multiple projects at a time. I would knit one pair of socks, one scarf, one whatever, at a time, and thus would finish it quickly and be able to move onto the next thing. However, somewhere along the way I lost my Thoreau-ian simplicity--and now I'm stuck with a pair of socks I may never finish!

Okay, so there's the scarf. The beautiful, cloudy, smooshy, soft scarf. It's Veronik Avery's Lace Ribbon Scarf, knit up in this awesome Nature's Palette fingering weight that I found with KP and Sam in some yarn store in Wallingford (it's cool because it's grey at first glance, but it's really blue and pink and subtle and just downright pretty).
It's the kind of scarf that I have the romantic visions of wearing on a snowy night in college to some intellectual debate or lecture. I'd also be wearing a trenchcoat. Anyway, I'm half done, having knit most of it mindlessly to and from Cape May. 

Unfortunately, if that were it, it would be nice and relaxing. Then there's the Twisted Tulip Socks. Oh, are they beautiful. I'm knitting up this nice, warm purple Jitterbug yarn Sam gave me in a fudge tin for Christmas. She took the tin back though, to give someone else fudge. The pattern requires some intense cerebral knitting, but I enjoy tiny, intricate projects. Unfortunately, I only own one pair of wearable hand knit socks, as I have knit a dozen or so others as gifts for those I love. And, while I started the socks on a flight back from Bologna and Amsterdam (we're talking 10 hours, here), I have yet to finish more than one since April. I just want some damn socks.

SO, maybe the knee socks will help. Nope. I bought the yarn for (yes, more) Veronik Avery's Spiral Boot Kneesocks in December. More smooshy wonderfulness...smooshy wonderfulness that has been sitting unballed in my stash ever since. I'm almost done with the first leg of the first sock...however, with all the other crap I have to finish, as well as all that I have to start, like socks for Nate, and gloves for Don, and maybe a sweater someday, and some other stuff, like the Christmas list I should probably begin if I ever want to finish it on time, because, as we all know, I can't finish anything anymore, including these sentences, or this tediously long blog post...

1 comment:

Knit Happens said...

Can I comment on our blog? Even if I can't, knitting many projects is good for your hands, and those socks are too beautiful for you not to complete.