Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Obsessions with Color and Texture


Seems pretty rudimentary doesn't it? Color and texture. Any artist would tell you that they love such things. For me, it is something that I never get bored with, and I never stop loving the way these two facts of art and knitting create the basis of my passion. There will never come a time when I will not look at the hat I am knitting now and not sigh over the pure breathlessness of the colors in its fibers. It is Handpainted Alpaca by the Painted Sheep (yes she does have an etsy shop and you cannot get better quality or color) and the colorway is Larkspur. Larkspur is a Mediterranean flower that is mainly light lavender but it does have some other colors intertwined into it. The Painted Sheep has created this unbelievable blend of lavender, mint, and silver. The saturation of the colors is unbelievable in its perfection. 
In the case of texture, you cannot beat the softness of this stuff. It is a blend of Alpaca and Merino. There are some soft fibers like silk and angora that, though I love them dearly, feel really slimy. It is just a fact. But alpaca is the softest stuff I have ever touched, and merino squishes like a thousand beautiful thoughts bound in your hands. Together, they create a fiber experience that is akin to knitting with butter. I have started making a hat with this stuff, and I can hardly put it down for love of its feel as it slides through my fingers as I knit or love on the stitches. 
I guess I love the comfort the texture and colors of this yarn give me. The colors are peaceful, but not in the cool range. This tinge of warmth in the lavender and mint is calming and welcoming while the silver feels like a vein of sophistication spread throughout. The texture is soothing and does not irritate like wool, but it has some grip unlike other soft fibers. I know it seems like I read too deeply into this, but I profess to be a person who knows herself. For me, every stitch with this yarn is God's small voice still saying, "I love you, see? I sent you this yarn as a tiny love note to remind you that I am there." It helps me now, and I pray one day, dear readers, you can find the same in something that you happen to love. God gives us little love notes, like flashes of faerie wings, if we know when and where to look.
On a less sappy note, has anyone ever considered that the word "bloggage" sounds like a side effect to a gastro intestinal disorder? Farewell lovelings!

1 comment:

The Mzungu said...

love it! this made me smile! your use of words is quite perfect. :)