Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Love Of Seeds




To say I enjoy knitting is no surprise. To say that I enjoy all kinds of knitting should also come as no shock. However, it may impress one to know that I indeed have a favorite stitch. I did not know this myself until I made this incredible garment. This is my Green Seed top, the pattern being the Carnation Tee by Cathy Carron found in the winter 2008/spring 2009 edition of Knit Scene. When I first viewed this pattern, I deemed it rather bizarre and not to my liking. Upon repeated examination as well as reading the article in the magazine about the designer, I began to notice how clean and lovely the design actually was. What had put me off, I realized was the strange color combination of brown paired with deep rose. I realized that I had the perfect yarn for this garment and it was in a lovely color combination that would not appear so off kilter. As one can see, the result is spectacular. What made me fall in love with this piece was the abundance of seed stitch, also known as moss stitch. I said before that this is my favorite stitch pattern. I am a fan of stockingnette, lace patterns, and cables do make me drool, but seed stitch has all the components I desire in a good knit. It requires a consistent change in hand movement to create the different stitches, but it is just as rhythmic as garter. Also, unless one knows its secrets, it is very difficult to see how the pattern is put together. Most patterns are somewhat discernible to a practiced eye, but it is difficult to pick this pattern apart. The combination really does blend together to look like hundreds of thousands of perfect little seeds. Simple magic that manages to fill me with delight akin the wonder one felt as a child upon seeing a butterfly sitting on a flower so still and clean.

No comments: