Friday, June 5, 2009

Also...

Today I went back to work at the children's library. I'm technically not allowed to work until July (silly fiscal budgets), so instead of dealing with patrons, I was given the fun jobs. 

I experimented with and troubleshooted (troubleshot?) some of our summer crafts, which involved making a giraffe, a crocodile, and a lion out of wine corks...apparently, the library staff has a collective drinking problem, because we have enough corks to make a replica of the Bronx Zoo.

I also made parrots and cockatoos out of construction paper, googly eyes, and feathers. It was to promote the summer's first activity, which is basically a guy showing the children his bird. Kids eat that stuff up, I'll tell you.

...I was going to rewrite that last sentence due to its ambiguity, but it's rather hilarious, so it stays.

My crowning achievement for today involved the BULLETIN BOARD. the national library summer reading theme this year is BE CREATIVE. This is exciting because it's way easier than CATCH THE READING BUG (last year's theme, which was devoted entirely to insects...it got old fast...) and we can make up our own story times. Somehow, the logo is a tree, so I made a tree, stapled bunched green cloth napkins as leaves, and then scattered it with tons of foam stars. 

I also added a fish in one of the branches. I directly associate creativity with a flair for the unnatural. The fish is purple, with orange fins and three blue squiggly stripes.

2 comments:

Knit Happens said...

Have I ever told you how awesome you are? I love the bit about the fish. Are you on some kind of kick with those by the way? Fish bag, fish in tree....

Knit Happens said...

Indeed, I am on a fish kick. 2 months ago it was a bird kick...actually, I think it's safe to say that I am on a fish-and-bird kick.