Monday, October 6, 2008

"In Nature's Wonderland"

This weekend I had the wonderful opportunity to go on a retreat with the Campus Crusade for Christ (CRU). I truly needed this getaway for I had felt rather jumbled and emotionally distorted of late. There were a number of factors involved, but suffice it to say confusing people and misplaced affection had put me in dire need of a mini vacation. So, on Friday, I took care to pack my knitting (along with the four other bags that I apparently needed on a trip where I was only staying two nights) and I set off with a sense of anticipation. Arriving that night was generally stressful and edgy because I accidentally left my knitting bag in the car and I had to do a great deal of waiting before anything officially happened. I was quite vexed with myself. But then came the next morning. The schedule established a "quiet time" in the morning from 8:30 to 9. This was supposed to be a time where we went anywhere within the camp and just took time to really be with God. I awakened rather irritated, but I dutifully made myself up, grabbed my bible and my knitting bag, and went off to find my place. Walking along, I saw many were headed to the beach overlooking the lake. Rather sad that there would be so many people about, I headed there myself. Luckily, the Lord was keeping an eye on my sanity. My eye was drawn to a path on the left. Curious, I followed it. The path ended at a long bridge. As I trod upon the planks the bridge wound through a small swamp with cattails and long grasses growing up out of the murky water. The sound of geese drifted through the trees. The sky was the bleached peach and cerulean of early morning. The bridge ended at a small dock that overlooked a pond which was surrounded by high pines and cedars. The air was crisp, the kind of crisp that makes one think of freshly peeled apples. I settled on my haunches, and all I could think to do was pull my sweater out of my knitting bag.
  I had succeeded in finishing the back the day before. I laid this across my lap and proceeded to cast on the front. As I worked, the sun broke through the thin clouds and cast an ideal light upon my work. I looked up to see the bog simply steaming in this almost angelic glow. I felt an overwhelming awe in the simplicity of that raw light and untouched nature. The yarn in my hands felt warmer,richer, as my heart swelled with the sight. I could feel the edges of God, gently smiling at my wonder. It had been a long time since I had felt so truly close. My fingers worked, loving the connection of every sense with the experience of existing in the sublime.

1 comment:

Knit Happens said...

So my extremely mundane post does not deserve to even be in the presence of your lovely encounter.