Thursday, May 27, 2010

Summer Knitting!

I am so happy it's summer. Usually, I approach summer with some slight distaste because I really hate hot weather and I don't like being away from school so long. Knittingwise, I am not much of a lightweight yarn person. I like warm sweaters, thick scarves, and wool socks. While socks work out well for summer knitting, the other two do not always handle themselves well in this season. However, this summer is proving very different in terms of my attitude. I am absolutely exhausted, and I am beyond grateful to be resting for the next month before I start work. I am also looking forward to knitting much more than I usually do. I have some lovely projects that just scream to happen this summer. On with the list then?

-Finishing my man's sweater is a huge priority. I know I just talked about the silliness of knitting thick sweaters in summer, but that is what basements and AC are for, no?

-Finishing my Mondo Cable Cardigan for my Knit More Along. It is pretty close to finished, and if I keep it off my lap it should not make me terribly overheated.

-Finishing my Tranquility Socks in the Twisted pattern by Jodie Gordon Lucas (Knitty Spring+Summer 2010). I am knitting these bad boys out of thepaintedsheep Painted Sock Too in the Tranquility colorway. I am blazing through this awesome pattern, and I can't wait to have the socks!

-Finishing a prayer shawl for my Aunt's birthday in October. She oggled my mother's when they came for Thanksgiving so I coerced my mom into buying the yarn and we could give it as a combined gift. Very easy knitting, and I should be done with it by the end of the month.

-My Ocean Spray Top. I have been working on this for a very long time, but it is truly a pattern I want to chew slowly. It is the Sea Tangles pattern from Knitty's Summer 08 issue. The pattern is not difficult, just labor intensive, and I am knitting out of the most beautiful yarn in the world (thepaintedsheep's Jasmine in By the Sea colorway).

-Roxy and Her Cubs Knit Picks kit. This kit includes the yarn and pattern to make the most adorable little fox family ever! It also uses intarsia which is a technique I have always wanted to try. The foxes knit up in a fuzzy Knit Picks Suri Dream.

-Knitting my way through however many patterns I can manage from the Amigurumi Knits book by Hansi Singh. This book is full of some of the most fantastic critters and vegetables that I have ever encountered. Everything from tomatoes to a Loch Ness monster. Best part is that I am using odds and ends from my stash to make these awesome squishies.

- Slippery Socks by Olivia M. from Knitty Winter 2007. The yarn is a delicious hand paint that I got at the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival. It is called Dizzie Lizzie's Superwash Sock, and the colorway is Sunkist. A truly gorgeous mix of rich oranges and golden yellows.

-The Tree of Light Shawl by Cordula Surmann-Schmitt (that is an awesome name by the way.) I have not done lace in a while, and I have had this lovely Jojoland Harmony sitting in my stash for a while. It is a soft variegation of lavenders, and it is perfect for hazy summer days.

-Sourwood Mountain Fingerless Mitts by Erica Jackofsky (she is also known as Fiddle Knits.) I have been dying to knit these and have had the perfect yarn for them sitting in my stash since last summer. Fibranatura Cottonwood is this unbelievably soft 100% organic cotton that I snagged last summer from my LYS. It is this perfect white/lavender (noticing a trend?) that I truly can't wait to see knit in this pattern.

-Lace-Up Opera gloves by Ysolda Teague. Again with the stash shopping, I am using Dive Zenith in a really dark turquoise, and I am pairing it with some fantastic ribbon using the same color mixed with purple.

-Finally (did not realize the list was this long) Green Cabled Armwarmers by Elizabeth Martin. I am working these up in some stash yarn by the name of Jojoland Melody. Yet again, I appear to be about green and purple with this stuff.

My goodness I am rather ambitious aren't I? Perhaps slightly delusional, but that is the fun of summer heat. Hobey ho!


No comments: