Friday, June 11, 2010

Some Amendments and Some Awesome


I know I gave my summer knitting list, but it has since experienced some reordering. I was going to knit some Slippery socks out of the yarn I bought at the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival. Then, along came the Knitmore Girls and their ridiculously addictive Knit Alongs. 
When I first looked at the Brandywine Shawl by Rosemary Hill, I will admit to being a little unimpressed. I am not usually a triangle shawl girl, and it involved paying for the pattern. I am very picky about what I choose to make, and I am even more persnickety if I have to pay for the pattern.  Still, the more I looked at it, the more I began to think it might be pretty, perhaps even beautiful. Everyone was raving about how great the pattern was, and with my intention to knit a complex shawl later (Tree of Light) I began thinking it might be wise to get back into the groove of lace knitting with something a little less intense. The final straw was when I realized that the majority of what I paid for the pattern was going to Help for Hati. I love designers who use their patterns to benefit people other than themselves. I knew that I would use the Festival sock yarn because it was just too perfect to hide in shoes. It screamed to be worn about my neck in all its lacy glory.
 I am happy to say this is the quickest knit I have done in a while, and it came out beautifully as evidenced by the picture. Not only did everyone in the KAL give me lovely compliments on it, but there was an extra surprise. The Knitmore Girls did a random surprise giveaway of the designer's new ebook 7 Small Shawls. This is an awesome prize, gifted generously by the designer herself. For more information on this awesome ebook,  you can go here 7 Small Shawls.  I was so happy to find that out I actually squealed like a two year old. As for the shawl itself, I am so happy that this beauty is finished, and I can wear it to a sad event so that it will comfort and bolster me with all its orangey goodness.

No comments: