Thursday, November 27, 2008

A Blanket for Your Trouble


So, my RA is a pretty nifty chick named Courtney. She is the RA for both my floor (6th) and the 5th floor. Although she lives on the floor below, due to the amount of crap that goes on in the 6th floor, she is often upstairs for a visit. Granted none of the girls involved in this project have been apart of any of the problems she has had to deal with, but we still feel like she is the only thing that keeps peace among some of the girls in our little tower. We decided that it would be lovely thing to make her something for Christmas that would express our gratitude for maintaining order. In order to accomplish this feat, my little knitting group (aka five other girls living on my floor) decided it would be a cool idea to knit a blanket for her. We would each do two squares at 1'x1' and then patch them all together to make a really nifty piece that we all made together. We also decided that there would be no set pattern or color scheme. The only stipulation was that we would all use a worsted weight and most chose to go with Caron Simply Soft. I myself chose this brand in Soft Green and Iris. 
  While everyone else eagerly sought out the niftier stitch patterns, it occurred to me through a conversation with my floormate and fellow knitter Lauren that it would be really cool to have two squares with the letters R and A each on a square. Since I have had the most years knitting, it fell to me to accomplish this part. I waited until I got home to start, and it is a rather crazy experience. Considering I lack graph paper and the patience to draw up a pattern, I am creating the "R" square purely on instinct and prayer. As you can see by the picture, it looks a little wonky, but I am not daunted. I merely chalk it up to the point in the process in which I am currently working. It is the, "middle, but not really where every choice that does not function with the first part looks like crap" part of the process. Let's hope Kp can pull this nonsense through with the Help of a certain Lord and Savior else this is going to be a very sad looking "R" indded.

No comments: